Salads & Dressings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended, set aside.
To prepare salad, cook barley according to package directions.
Combine cooked barley, bell pepper, red onion, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, tossing well to combine.
Add the dressing and toss gently to coat evenly. Let stand 10 minutes. 6 servings.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onion, including some tender green tops
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make the dressing; whisk together oil, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, chili powder. Tabasco, salt, and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, bell peppers, green onions, and cilantro. Toss lightly with about half of the dressing to coat, cover, and refrigerate.
Add more dressing just before serving, as needed.
Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 8.
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 2 ½ cups diced roasted chicken
- 1 ½ cups halved red and green grapes
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar. Fold in the crumbled blue cheese.
Add the chicken, red and green grapes, celery and parsley and fold gently.
Season with salt and pepper.
Fold in the sunflower seeds and serve.
- 6 cups baby Spinach leaves
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, broken
- 4 oz. Bleu Cheese, crumbled
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Dressing
In a large bowl, toss all ingredients. Serve immediately.
- 5 small cucumbers
- 1 small bunch fresh dill
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- A little sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh tomato pulp
- 2 Tbsp. tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
Skin the cucumbers, and cut in very thin slices.
Place on a flat dish and sprinkle well with salt.
Leave for half an hour, then drain off the liquid and mix the cucumbers with the following dressing: Finely chop the dill and add it to the sour cream with the crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar; then mix in the tomato pulp, and add the vinegar and the oil very slowly.
Serve very cold.
- ½ cup orange sections
- 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt
To prepare coleslaw, chop orange sections. Combine the oranges, grapes and coleslaw in a large bowl.
To prepare dressing, combine ¼ cup sugar and the remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves.
Add the dressing mixture to cabbage mixture, and toss well.
Cover and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup).
- 3/4 cup Pomegranate juice
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, whisk together juice, vinegar, mustard and honey.
Slowly whisk in the oil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.