- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onion, including some tender green tops
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make the dressing; whisk together oil, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, chili powder. Tabasco, salt, and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, bell peppers, green onions, and cilantro. Toss lightly with about half of the dressing to coat, cover, and refrigerate.
Add more dressing just before serving, as needed.
Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 8.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 – 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cup cooked ground turkey
- 1 – 15 oz. can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 – 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Diced fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
In a large Dutch oven, saute the onion and pepper in the olive oil until tender.
Add the garlic, and cook a minute more.
Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to mix.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for at least an hour, or longer for flavors to meld, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Ladle into bowls and top with diced cilantro and sour cream if desired.