- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 – 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cup cooked ground turkey
- 1 – 15 oz. can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 – 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Diced fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
In a large Dutch oven, saute the onion and pepper in the olive oil until tender.
Add the garlic, and cook a minute more.
Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to mix.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for at least an hour, or longer for flavors to meld, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Ladle into bowls and top with diced cilantro and sour cream if desired.
- 1/2 recipe Plain Pastry
- 2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Line pie pan with pastry.
Combine pumpkin, salt, sugar, egg yolks and cinnamon and beat for 5 minutes.
Add cream, whiskey and butter and mix well.
Sprinkle cornstarch over stiffly beaten egg whites and fold into first mixture.
Pour into pastry shell.
Bake in very hot oven (450 degrees F) 10 minutes; reduce temperature to moderate (350 degrees F) and bake about 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.