John Deere-Van Brunt Combination Fertilizer Grain Drills
DIRECTIONS FOR SETTING UP AND OPERATING
JOHN DEERE-VAN BRUNT
Fluted Feed Wood Box
Combination Fertilizer Grain Drills
Equipped with Single-Disk, Double-Disk, Shoe or Hoe or Deep Furrow Openers
Practically all trouble with new machines is due to improper setting up, faulty adjustments and lack of oil. The object of these directions is to assist you in setting up this machine correctly and operating it to the best advantage.
By carefully following these simple instructions, one person can set up the machine.
1. Place all bundles where they will be handy.
2. The darkened portions in the cuts show clearly the parts to be assembled and the proper order in which they are to be attached. Arrows and letters are used to show where and how the parts are to be attached.
3. Right or left side is determined when facing the same direction the machine is traveling.
1. Remove all crating and packing.
2. Unpack contents of box and compare with packing card.
3. Place box with feeds up.
4. Attach gear hanger hooks on right and left side of machine. (“L” Fig. 1)
5. Put right-hand gear hanger between box end and feed shaft gear on right side, placing in position so lip of gear hanger (“N” Fig. 1-A) will come between frame and box end.
6. Mesh intermediate gear with feed shaft gear (“M” Figs. 1 and 2). Follow same operation for attaching left-hand gear hanger. Fasten loop to gear hanger hook (“O” Fig. 1).
1. Place frame in position and bolt to box ends (“A” Fig. 2). Caution: Be sure lip of gear hanger is between box end and frame (“N” Fig. 1-A).
2. Bolt back box straps to center box board with square ends down (“B” Fig. 2). Note: Be careful that bolts in center box boards do not slip back into box when attaching straps.
3. Attach rounded end of lifting lever ratchet brace, with long bolt to axle bearing (“C”, Fig. 2). On drills equipped with power lift, bolt rear box braces J100 to all axle bearings except in center — 17 x 7-inch size with power lift, attach J100 rear box braces to all axle bearings including the center. Note: On drills with one lifting lever, bolt rear box brace J100, to left end axle bearing and box.
Attach fertilizer spouts (“D” Figs. 2-A and 3). Fasten with latch on bottom plate under fertilizer feeds (“E” Fig. 2-A).
1. Attach single-disk furrow openers (straight line) starting at either end of machine with hollow or concave side of disk toward wheel. (See chart 1)
Attach short zigzag furrow openers to long pressure arms.
Attach long zigzag furrow openers to short pressure arms.
Attach to clips on frame with pins (“B” Fig. 3). Insert and spread cotters.
Caution: Bar spreaders should be in center hole for 7-inch drills and in lower holes for 8-inch drills. (See “A” Fig. 3-A)
Do not fasten pressure rod to swivel on pressure arm now. This operation will be explained later.
2. Furrow openers should remain in forward position to balance machine, as shown in Fig. 3. It can then be lifted with ease for attaching wheels.
1. Remove nut and pin from steel wheel. See Fig. 4A.
2. Oil axles and hubs of wheels. (“A” Fig. 4)
3. Lift machine and put on wheels. Fasten with pin or collar with set screw as furnished. Replace nut and tighten securely. Seat malleable nut into wheel hub with chisel. See Fig. 4A.
4. Stand at center of box, lift and turn machine right side up. See Fig. 5.
BOX STRAPS AND BOX BRACES
1. Put front box straps to front of box (“A” Fig. 6). Do not bolt until braces “B” and “C” are put in position.
Caution: Do not bore new holes in the box as straps are right length and will fit. If necessary, put a support under center of axle to assist in attaching box straps.
2. Bolt on short box braces (“B” Fig. 6).
3. Bolt on long box braces (“C” Fig. 6).
(Note: No center long box brace used on drills with center pole.)
POLES AND TILTING LEVER FOR HORSE HITCH
1. Fasten pole tip to pole with bolt. (“D” Fig. 6)
2. Bolt pole clips to pole (“E” Fig. 6).
3. Attach swivel to clip and bolt to frame (“E” Fig. 6).
4. Bolt tilting lever ratchet to top of pole (“F” Fig. 6). Put tilting lever in slot in pole and attach with bolt (“G” Fig. 6).
5. Attach straps of tilting lever to clip and crossbar with bolt (“H” Fig. 6).
6. Fasten pole braces with swivels to frame and pole (“I” Fig. 6).
SHIFTER FOR FERTILIZER
1. Put clutch shifter fork (“M” Figs. 7 and 6) into groove of clutch on axle at “N” Figs. 7 and 11. Attach upper end to box at “O” Fig. 7. Insert notched end of clutch shifter bar in slot of clutch shifter fork. (“P” Fig. 7)
Note: On larger drills where two clutch shifters are used, put long shifter bar on left side.
2. Attach bearing for clutch shifter to bolt in rear of center front box strap. (“R” Figs. 7 and 11)
3. Slip support over clutch throw-out lever and screw to box (“S” Fig. 11).
4. Set clutch shifter on pressure arm shaft so that clutch is open about 1/4-inch when lifting lever is down (“T” Fig. 7).
Note: Can only be attached to rear of machine.
1. Bolt ratchet to ratchet strap (“A” Figs. 8 and 21). Attach ratchet strap to rear of box (“B” Fig. 8).
2. Attach ratchet brace to ratchet strap (“C” Fig. 8).
3. Attach lifting lever and fasten extension strap with brace for extension strap to bolts through lever and at axle bearing (“D” Fig. 8).
4. Bolt lever link to link hinge on pressure arm shaft (“E” Fig. 8).
5. When storing machine, lifting lever can be folded over box by releasing latch. (“F” Fig. 8)
6. Attach cover catches to box covers with wood screws found in cloth bag (“G” Fig. 8). Raise cover and push clips tightly against edge of box cover before tightening with screws.
1. Put front end of rod through bracket (“J” Figs. 9 and 18).
2. Move lifting lever down in last notch (see Fig. 8) and fasten rear end of rod to link hinge on pressure arm shaft (“K” Fig. 9).
PRESSURE ROD FOR FURROW OPENERS
1. Put pressure rods through swivels on pressure arm with cupped side of swivels down (“L” Fig. 10).
2. Put collars on pressure rods above the swivels, with shoulders down, and insert spring cotters (“M” Fig. 10). Spread cotters.
3. Place adjusting washer on pressure rods in notch below pressure spring (“N” Fig. 9).
DRIVE GEARS FOR FERTILIZER FEEDS
1. Fasten bracket for intermediate gear to bracket (“T” Fig. 11). Do not tighten bolt.
2. Place drive chain (28 links) over sprockets with hooks of chain up and towards the front (“U” Fig. 11).
3. Pull gear bracket to top of slotted hole for proper tension of chain and tighten bolt securely.
1. Put drive rod and spring for drive rod into socket of land measurer (“V” Figs. 12 and 21).
2. Fasten land measurer to rear of box (where marked) with wood screws found in cloth bag (“W” Fig. 12). Be sure drive rod works freely when machine is in operation.
1. Move lock lever (“X” Fig. 13) back on tube tops. Attach grain tubes (“Y” Figs. 13 and 21) to feed cups. Then put lock lever in downward position.
1. Hook covering chains to lower eye of singledisk boots and close hooks to prevent losing. (Same if using either double-disk or shoe furrow openers.) (“A” Fig. 14)
2. Attach guiding chain to last link of outside covering chain (“B” Fig. 14) and to top eye of second single-disk boot on both ends of drill. (“C” Fig. 14)
For double-disk, attach to upper hook on second chain. For shoe, attach guiding chain to hole at top of second boot.
Note: Covering chains and guiding chains are not used on hoe and gang press drills.
Note: Double-disk requires a covering chain with extension. (This extension is bundled to the drag bars for convenience.)
CENTER FOOTBOARD ATTACHMENT
1. Attach end-hangers to bolt through axle bearing (“D” Fig. 15).
2. Attach strap for footboard to bolt through lifting lever (“E” Fig. 15).
3. Fasten footboard to angle plates (“F” Fig. 15). Note: On drills with one lifting lever, attach brace for footboard to box with bolts through rear strap on left-hand side.
END FOOTBOARD ATTACHMENT
1. Attach outside end hangers to rear bolt through axle box and fasten strap for footboard to end hole in frame. (“G” Fig. 16)
2. Attach inside end hangers to axle bearing and strap for footboard to bolt through lifting lever. (“H” Fig. 16)
3. Attach footboards to angle plates. (“I” Fig. 16)
Note: Full length footboard attachment can be furnished.
Note: Special foot board irons are required when machine is equipped with power lift.
1. Attach right- and left-hand wheel scrapers to rear end of frame, with cutting edge down. (“A”, Fig. 16A)
OFFSET AND SIDE POLES
For side pole, fasten pole to crossbar on lefthand side and attach long box brace to center crossbar and box.
For offset pole for horse hitch on 9-, 11-, 13- and 17 x 7-inch sizes, attach offset irons. (“A” Fig. 17)
Attach tilting lever ratchet and tilting lever. (“B” Fig. 17)
Attach to drill in same manner as regular pole. (See instructions, Fig. 6)
GRASS SEED ATTACHMENT
1. Place shifting lever between feed shaft and bottom of grass seed box, with lug on spool through hole and fasten to shifter plate with pointer up. (“A” Fig. 23)
2. Attach seed index to front of grass seeder box with wood screws where marked. (“B” Fig. 23)
3. Remove long grain box brace and put brace (“C” Fig. 23) through holes in grass seeder box. Put grass seed attachment in position against front of grain box. Bolt long grain box brace in position on frame and grain box.
4. Remove wooden plugs from front of grain box (“D” Fig. 23) and insert bolts from the inside.
5. Attach grass seed attachment to grain box with bolts (“D” Fig. 23) in lower holes, and screws in upper holes (“E” Fig. 23) of grass seed box end.
6. Attach intermediate gear in slot on lower ends of grass seeder box ends with bolt (“F” Fig. 23). Adjust to mesh with gear on feed shaft of drill.
1. Put left-hand agitator in box from right-hand side under center bracket and right-hand agitator in box from left-hand side under center bracket. Note: Do not fasten agitators in position until both agitators have been put in box.
2. Screw agitator brackets to box with screws found in cloth bag. (“M” Fig. 24)
3. Follow same operation on one piece agitator for small size drills.
To operate agitator, remove spring cotters (“N” Fig. 24) and put shaft into hole of agitator gear case (“O” Fig. 24). Replace cotters on opposite side of agitator bracket.
1. Pins on feeder wheels on each end of each section of fertilizer box must be in same position (“A” Fig. 25). Put arms of agitator over small lugs on feeder wheels on end of each section (“B” Fig. 25).
2. Follow same operation if attaching one piece agitator for small size drills.
GANG PRESS WHEEL ATTACHMENT
1. Bolt right-hand drawbar (“A” Fig. 26) to socket on right end of pipe.
2. Bolt left-hand drawbar to socket on left end of pipe (“B” Fig. 26).
3. Put drawbars in position and bolt in rear hole to outside of frame of drill. For gang press attachments with more than two drawbars, inside drawbars are attached by clamping over axle.
4. Bolt axle for press wheels to end of flat spring with casting number up (“C” Fig. 26).
5. Place press wheels on axle bearing. Replace slotted washers and tighten with nut (“D” Fig. 26).
6. Move drawbars so that press wheels line up directly back of furrow openers and tighten securely.
7. Attach eyebolt in lower end of seat standard to pipe (“E” Fig. 26).
8. Attach seat bar to upper end of seat standard and fasten to seat (“F” Fig. 26).
9. Put eyebolt in end of seat bar through hole in center of box and fasten inside with large washer and nut (“G” Fig. 26).
Weight boxes can be furnished for gang press wheel attachment.
SPECIAL TUBE ATTACHMENT
John Deere – Van Brunt Special Tube Attachment is for the purpose of keeping the fertilizer from coming in contact with the seed. The fertilizer is deposited in the rows and a layer of soil is always between the fertilizer and seed. An adjusting clamp enables you to raise or lower the boot to change the depth for depositing the fertilizer.
Note: Special tube attachment is furnished only on special orders.
1. Attach pulley standard to forward slot hole in rear end of frame (“A” Fig. 28).
2. Punch out slug in box end for bolt hole. Place space between standard and box end and fasten with bolt. (“A” Fig. 28)
3. Attach holder with scraper to slot holes on inside of frame. (“B” Fig. 28)
4. Attach brace to rear holder and box. Bore hole in box for brace. (“C” Fig. 28)
5. Attach front holder to frame with U-bolt and clamp. (“D” Fig. 28)
6. Place hooks of adjusting braces in holders. (“E” Fig. 28)
7. Bolt bar to front side of rear adjusting brace. (“F” Fig. 28)
8. Attach front adjusting brace and clip for lifting rod to rear adjusting brace. (“G” Fig. 28)
9. Pass rope through pulleys and tie to lifting rod so that when one marker is raised the other automatically lowers. (“H” Fig. 28)