McCormick-Deering Wagon Offset Hitch
for McCormick-Deering Power Drive and Ground Drive Corn Binders equipped with Bundle Loader
(ZMA-457 Wagon Hitch for use with all Tractors except Farmall H, M and MD)
(ZMA-488 Wagon Hitch for use with Farmall H, M and MD Tractors)
The information in this article may appear so specific that it escapes application for most folk, but we have discovered that this sort of detail can work to spur the ingenious farmer and shade tree mechanics towards far flung remedies to seemingly unrelated applications. In this case the material is very specific to the challenge of attaching an offset wagon to the back of a pto or ground drive corn binder so that the harvested crop may be gathered in the same field pass. The geometrical solutions to the offset draft are amazing. Where else would one find such information but in your Small Farmer’s Journal?
Instructions for Adjusting and Operating
After the wagon hitch has been set up, go over it carefully to see that all nuts are thoroughly tightened and that all cotters are in place and spread.
Use a pressure gun once daily at the caster wheel and caster wheel bracket.
The purpose of the series of holes in the draft beam is to place the rear of the wagon as close as possible to the bundle loader elevator before starting to load.
For uniform loading, hitch the wagon so the bundle loader is at the rear of the wagon.
By pulling the rope slightly, the chain will be released and will allow the wagon to be dropped back.
The worker on the wagon or the tractor operator may control the rope.
Instructions for Setting Up
Remove all wires and arrange parts conveniently.
Lubricate all bearings and moving parts as you proceed, and see that they work freely.
Bolts must be used in the holes in which they are found or in parts to which they are attached unless otherwise shown.
Shaded portions in the illustrations show parts to be assembled; these must be placed on the machine in the order numbered.
Wherever the terms “left” or “right” are used, it should be understood to mean from a position behind and facing the machine.
One and Two-Row Power Drive Corn Binders
1. Attach the draft beam connection to the hitch frame.
Vertical Corn Binders (Ground Drive)
1. Drill two 15/32” holes through the side of the tongue, using the draft beam connection as a template. Attach the connection to the tongue.
1. Connect the draft beam to the connection. See Illustration 3 (top).
2. Place the draft beam extension in position on the draft beam and secure with pin. See Illustration 3.
3. Connect the caster wheel to the draft beam. See Illustration 3.
4. Attach the rope guide to the draft beam extension. See Illustration 3.
5. Attach the draft bar to the draft beam. See Illustration 3.
6. Attach the pulley, placing a 1” long pipe spacer between the hammer strap, rear, and the pulley. See Illustration 3.
7. Attach the drawbar connections to the tractor drawbar and connect the draft bar to the drawbar connection.
- For One and Two-Row Power Drive Corn Binders connected to Farmall H, M or MD Tractor, see Illustration 3.
- For Vertical Corn Binders (Ground Drive) connected to Farmall H, M or MD Tractor, see Illustration 5.
- For One and Two-Row Power Drive or Vertical Corn Binder connected to any tractor except Farmall H, M or MD, connect the draft bar directly to the tractor drawbar.
8. Place the wagon tongue in the stirrup. See Illustration 3.
9. Place the chain with the hook end through the chain lock and hook the chain to the tongue. See Illustration 3.
10. Connect the chain with the shock absorber to the rear end of the wagon tongue. See Illustration 4.
11. Attach the pulley with the eyebolt to the side of the bundle loader elevator. See Illustration 6.
12. Attach the rope guide to the top of the bundle loader elevator. See Illustration 6.
13. Tie the rope to the chain lock release lever and pull the rope through the pulleys and rope guides. See Illustrations 3 and 6.
14. Tie the ring to the end of the rope. See Illustration 6.
Transport Mode – See Illustration 7.
1. Attach the transport bracket with U-bolt to the bundle loader caster wheel pipe.
2. Remove the pin securing the draft beam extension and swing the draft beam extension towards the rear, then wind the chain around the draft beam and draft beam extension.